Image Map

Wednesday, April 1, 2015

a post where Teresa kind of talks about politics


this is important.


{song and video by pat mAcdonald - Big Dumb Hotel}

I should begin this by saying that I don't really know a lot about politics, and what I know about everything going on here in Sturgeon Bay probably only scratches the surface of everything happening.

I started going to some of the meetings, and to be quite honest, it was at first only because they needed more people there and I didn't really know what was going on, but I did find it interesting. I don't know a lot about the government and I would skip voting because I didn't know anything about the candidates, so I felt that I shouldn't be voting when I didn't know the issues.

Here's the gist of what I do know about what is going on with the waterfront redevelopment in Sturgeon Bay. A vote was passed to build a hotel on the last bit of waterfront between the bridges, where the granary currently sits and the tugboats are docked. This vote was passed by both the the planning commission (two committee members voted no) and the city council (unanimous) even though the constituents were vocally opposed. Multiple meetings finished in closed sessions, and the public was uninformed of what was happening.

Sturgeon Bay is a tourist town, and people come here in part for the waterfront, the beautiful working waterfront. We need to preserve that and not stick an ugly building on the edge blocking the view.

Government and politics are weird things, seeing as they are supposed to help us achieve our goals as a community, yet sometimes the people in charge don't listen to the ones they are serving. We need to stand up for our rights and be heard!

Smart Growth Sturgeon Bay

xoxo.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...